¡Hola! Listographers. This is my first time of participating and it just so happens that this week’s Kate Takes 5 listography challenge is being orchestrated by Mañana Mama. The challenge is to write about what we want to be when we grow up.
I couldn’t resist the challenge because inside me bursting to get out is:
1. A dancer – to be a dancer would be to fulfill what I consider my genetic destiny as I have ballet dancer for a sister (retired and now teaching), both my aunt and mum were ballet teachers (in fact they met at college and that is how mum met dad and that is how I came about eventually, do you see?), and my Granny loved to dance the Gay Gordons with us on the landing before bed (mum must have been very pleased). I would insert the “obligatory Youtube Gay Gordons clip” here but, having found it, I realise that what we were dancing on the landing before bed was not, by any stretch, the Gay Gordons. Anyway, I may be a little old for ballet but I am sure that Ballroom or Latin remain open to me.
2. A singer – a diva in the tradition of Shirley, Barbra, Randy et al. But with, now I don’t want to say better so we will just say, different hair. I am brilliant when in the car singing to Bibsey. There is no reason why that wouldn’t translate beautifully, even majestically, to the stage in front of an audience of thousands.
3. An actress – I was sent to speech and drama classes from a tender age (having been kicked out of my mum’s ballet class for being disruptive – if you can believe that – I shan’t let it deter me from pursuing No. 1) and scored an O’ Level in the subject. It was at drama school that I met one of my oldest, oldest, dearest friends. And in this very small world, I ended up working in my last job with a Big Gay Giant who went to the same local drama school as I did. He may have come along about 10 years later than me but we are both ‘Pat Hammond girls’ to the core, with a talent for making a drama out of a crisis.
Do you see a dramatic arts theme coming through here?
4. A parent – I may be a mother now but I am not sure that I feel like a parent yet. When does that kick in? Seriously, when? Is it with the introduction of the naughty step?
5. A noodle head – Why? Because I can’t think of a ‘real’ 5th thing and it is the term of endearment del dia in my house. Because, I think that it is an entirely achievable goal. Because I am nearly all the way there in achieving that goal. And because being a noodle head can mean whatever I want it to mean. Ha!
Looking forward to reading other people’s lists. And suspect that I am not the only frustrated ballet dancer out there. Adios.